East Harling Internal Drainage Board
East Harling Internal Drainage Board District covers an area extending from Caston in the east, Roudham in the west, and north to Hockham, and south to East Harling. The IDB are responsible for maintaining all the main streams and rivers in this area. The Board is located entirely within the Breckland District Council area.
The Board is formed from representatives from local farmers, conservation bodies, and local Councillors (from Breckland Council and Attleborough Town Council).
The Board is financed from Drainage Rates paid by farmers and landowners, a precept on the Council Tax, and contribution from the Environment Agency.
In addition the Board review all planning applications for property development affecting the Board, and consent applications for surface water runoff from new developments. Developers are required to pay the Board a Surface Water Development Contribution based on the size of the development and rate of runoff.
The Board has responsibility for conservation matters within the Board area, and for enhancing bio-diversity.
Board duties include:
- Levying of drainage rates and their collection
- Maintenance of drains, pumping stations and flood defences
- Environmental improvement
- Promotion of capital schemes for drainage and flood defence improvement
- Emergency response during flooding
- Public relations
- Dealing with planning applications (discharge consents and flood risk assessments)
- Flood records and post-flood survey
- Keeping of accounts